Football: A faraway losing fan's perspective

Several men took the field today to play a game of football. They were led by two very good men; men who have sacrificed from their personal resources to help the people of New Orleans recover from a devastating hurricane.

Today's better team won. On another day, it would
have gone the other way.

I watched with an assortment of individuals at The SinBin in nearby Takapuna after first going all the way in to the city to a place I'd phoned earlier this week to make sure they'd have the game on the big screen. When I arrived today, they had the pre-game shows on, but no sound. I asked when they were going to turn up the volume. "Oh no, we only play music during the day but you can watch it."

You shoulda seen the look on my face . . . and then you'd have seen the back of me as I left abruptly before I said something I'd need to repent of!
See it and not hear it? Of all the crazy, hare brained . . . . . .

Rang round to The SinBin in a nearby neighbourhood and, sure enough, they had ". . . balloons up and the party started and where are you anyway?"
It's not like I know the guy, but he sure sounded a lot more on to it than the place where I'd planned to spend my afternoon. See, the game started at about 25 past noon on a Monday, New Zealand time.

I texted family and friends in the US to see where they were watching. Some were home with family and others out and about. I was sure there were oceans of blue and white throughout Indiana and wherever Hoosiers roam. I wore blue & white, but not official Colts gear. One guy did have on a jersey and was there with a buddy in a Saints jersey. Fair enough.

To be in that particular game took an amazing journey for both teams. Unfortunately playing in the game doesn't give you all the benefits and satisfaction winning that game would. Such is life.

I'm still a Colts fan. Poor form if I only cheered for them when they won!

Comments