What’s your brand?

Personal Branding? More of Jill Shaw's comments follow the article.

I've been told I have a good name for a brand. Short and sweet, well the name is sweet.

I also know that many people do not
know who they are, what they hope to be or accomplish in this life or what value they hold in themselves. I find much sadness and confusion comes from this lack of understanding of identity, value and individual dignity.

Jenni's take on this is obviously Christian. Humanists might have an opinion too. Mother's with more than one child probably have heaps of opinions but no time to comment!

What do you think?


What’s your brand? From Jenni Catron's, Leading From Shades of Grey

In my former job I spent the majority of my time developing brand identities for artists. I worked hard to determine the unique characteristics of the individual musician/band/singer and then figured out how to market that to set them apart from the rest of their competitors. It was a fascinating, sometimes frustrating and yet, a very rewarding experience… especially when I felt like I captured the heart of the individual and got to share that with the world.

As much as the word “branding” sounds all-business, cold and impersonal, I really believe in the power of a brand. More importantly I believe in the power of understanding your unique brand.

My personal definition of branding is: authentically being who you are and portraying that consistently.

Each one of us has been uniquely gifted by God with certain strengths, talents, gifts, passions, etc. And this unique combination makes up your personal brand.

I believe there is great power in understanding who you are and who God has uniquely made you to be. Some of us have learned this well. Others of us have allowed life/people/circumstances to shadow our innate interests and desires… sometimes to such a degree that it takes years for us to dig up what’s been buried so deep.

So, who are you?

What makes you uniquely you?

How would others describe you?

Better yet, how would you describe the real you?

What’s your brand and are you living it with passion?

If these questions stump you, frustrate you or paralyze you, I would challenge you to go on a journey to understand who God has created you to be. Here are a few things I would recommend to get you started:

  1. Take a spiritual gifts assessment. This is a great tool to begin to help you unpack spiritual gifts as they are outlined in 1 Corinthians 12, Romans 12, Ephesians 4. Here are a couple of free online tests: Church Growth.org and First Baptist Huntsville
  2. Understand your strengths. Read Now, Discover Your Strengths or Strengths Finder 2.0 and take the Strengths Finder assessment.
  3. Develop a relationship with a mentor who can provide candid feedback, offer encouragement and coach you in your growth.
  4. Journal your thoughts and feelings… especially the moments where you feel alive and thriving.
  5. Pray for God to give you clarity, insight and passion for the purpose He has for your life.

One of my favorite passages of scripture is in Galatians 6 from The Message:

Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.

Be uniquely you!!

Jill's comment:
Part of me says, "Uhm, what's the point of this exercise?"

Another part of me says, "My brand is borrowed from Apple, Nikon, Borders, Garmin, Subaru, Teva and Dr. Pepper."
Another part of me says that, "Seeing as how there are so many parts to me, maybe I'd better look in to this a bit more."

Comments