A Pukeko in a Ponga Tree

Sung to The Twelve Days of Christmas, but Kiwi Style by Kingi Ihaka 1981
Check the links for humourous or informative tangents
Remember to slow down the line " Five - big - fat - pigs ! "

On the first day of Christmas
My true love gave to me
A pukeko in a ponga tree

On the second day of Christmas
My true love gave to me
two kumera
And a pukeko in a ponga tree

On the third day of Christmas
....
and so on, until...

On the twelfth day of Christmas
My true love gave to me
Twelve piupius swinging
Eleven haka lessons
Ten juicy fish heads
Nine sacks of pipis
Eight plants of puha
Seven eels a swimming
Six pois a twirling
Five - big - fat - pigs !
Four huhu grubs
Three flax kits
Two kumera
And a pukeko in a ponga tree!

The Waiata group sang this at the Massey University staff Christmas party and then I asked Paul to lead it for us at Carols in the Park @Little Shoal Bay. Super crowd pleaser both times!

Comments

Spurwing Plover said…
Sounds like the New Zealand or Austialian version of THE 12 DAYS of CHRISRMAS