Secretariat Film features in KY Geocaching Adventure

Geocaching is an adventure a minute!
My pursuit of Pisgah Church Cemetery cache took me and a friend on to the much guarded set of a movie about Secretariat, the horse who was quite popular in this area, winner of the Triple Crown.

State police were guarding entrances and exits as I pulled up to the driveway. A security guard sauntered across and stood in the middle of the drive. Another man with a radio on his hip approaches and I say we're there to see a grave.

They immediately think we're there to visit Aunt Jenny's grave, or Uncle Henry, or whomever. Unbeknownst to me, they think there's a major PR blunder here and we're gonna be offended about the chaos they've made of a normally quiet country cemetery.

They allow us to park and I point toward where we need to go. They think I musta been there before, since I know the way. They assign someone to go with us and they radio the situation somewhere else. There were some amazing period cars parked along the drive; six classics from the early 70's.

We are accompanied down to the cache site by a talkative young man who explains about the movie being shot here. Oh, it all becomes clear now. I'm in horse country! I explain about the game of geocaching. I would have preferred he not accompany us to the site, but I was pleased to get this far! I get and sign the cache. Hope it's not muggled by the locals!!

The young man also explains that they "greek" tombstones that might be caught in focus in the film so as to protect the privacy of those who are buried nearby. They were afraid that they had tampered with the grave of our loved one! No wonder they were nervous!

As we are walking back up and toward the car, a pastor type woman from the church comes out to greet us as if to mend fences with an offended family. I then explain a bit, but not too much. My friend and I hurry back to the car in near fits of laughter.

As we leave I notice all the huge trucks with movie lights and equipment and then we go up to Keeneland, a huge race track and a Heritage Kentucky site. I then notice another newer church parking lot full of huge equipment trucks and dressing room trailers, etc, and state troopers everywhere!

Too funny! Caching is fun and you never know what to expect! If we'd driven out there on any other day it woulda been a lovely spot, a cemetery next to a Presbyterian church on the outskirts of Lexington, Kentucky, USA.





Guess who's in the film being produced by Disney!!

The film cast features Diane Lane, John Malkovich, Dylan Walsh, Scott Glenn, Sam Elliott
I enjoyed Diane Lane in Must Love Dogs



Secretariat - 9th Triple Crown Winner.

Birth: Mar. 30, 1970
Death: Oct. 4, 1989

The name Secretariat is synonymous with horse racing. In 1973, Secretariat won the first triple crown in a quarter-century at the Belmont Stakes, where he won by thirty-one lengths and his time of 2:24 for the one-and-a-half-mile race set a world record that may never be broken. His fame went well beyond the race tracks. This horse also broke the time/track record at Churchill downs in the 1973 Kentucky Derby at 1:59 and 2/5ths seconds. "Big Red" in the early 1970s was as hot a prospect as any human movie star. The spotlight became so bright that the horse was featured on the covers of Time, Newsweek, and Sports Illustrated in the same week. Secretariat was owned by Penny Chenery during his racing days and was voted one of the top 50 athletes of the twentieth century by ESPN. Secretariat suffered from severe laminitis, a chronic and painful hoof disease just prior to his death. On October 4, 1989, the decision was made to humanely euthanize him.

Comments

Sonia said…
Sounds like an amazing caching adventure..brilliant!!