Pilgrimage: Just another Journey, or something more?

Journey is a theme that arises in my life. It may not arise anymore than other worthy themes or motifs, but it is one to which I am attuned, so I notice it more.

Other terms that come to mind are pilgrimage, sojourn, traverse, wander, trek, voyage.

Antonyms suggested by one dictionary are stay, wait.

I'm not sure I agree with those in total. I often will wait at points on my journey, will stay awhile to get a feel for a place or to sense the essence of a place.

I think a true antonym would be stagnate, to be stuck or in a rut.

Many famous journeys are recorded in history books.

Marco Polo, Amelia Earhart,
Lewis & Clark, David Livingstone,
Jack Kerouac, Edmund Hillary


What made them go?

Focusing specifically on the pilgrimage theme, I dug a little deeper.


If you look at some maps of major religious pilgrimages of the world, you'll likely see that there are none in the US. I don't think they took in to consideration annual trips to the Indy 500 or treks across Route 66.

Symbols of pilgrimage vary but the shell may be used as a symbol for pilgrimage, and may be used as an emblem for saints known for their travels (such as St. James) or whose shrines have become destinations for pilgrims.

I know I have taken journeys with no predetermined destination. I know that God has accompanied me and the fellowship has been sweet. While I have visited the tomb of Thomas, the doubting but faithful apostle who is reported to have traveled as far as Southern India, it was not a pilgrimage as such to that specific place.
I was on a journey, but it was a journey outside of my comfort zone. It was a releasing rather than an grasping, a departure rather than an arrival.

In the whole world, there are only three churches built over the tomb of an Apostle of Jesus Christ -
- Basilica of Saint Peter built over the tomb of St.Peter in Rome,
- Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela built over the tomb of St.James in Spain and
- Basilica of the National Shrine of St.Thomas built over the tomb of St.Thomas. Basilica of the National Shrine of St.Thomas is in Chennai, India.
I love visiting the old cathedrals, well established gardens and awesome mountain tops. I seek these out in my travels and often bore my companions to tears.

My walk on the Milford Track on NZ's South Island was a pilgrimage of sorts. Much of the journey I walked alone; alone with my thoughts and prayers and the exhilaration of beauty and accomplishment.

Some people make a pilgrimage home, or back to a significant place in their personal history. I have often found that the reality of particular places did not match my memory of them. Too much had changed, in the place and in me.
COMMENT:
Have you ever made a pilgrimage?
What sort was it?
Was it a trip down memory lane or something more than that?

For more information on pilgrimages read one of these . . .

Phil Cousineau's book Art of Pilgrimage: The Seeker's Guide to Making Travel Sacred

For thousands of years, the need for meaningful travel has been met through pilgrimage. With the millennium quickly approaching it's estimated that, in the year ahead, more people will journey in search of sacred inspiration than in any other time in history. The Vatican is expecting nearly thirteen million celebrants for the year 2000, and another three to four million travelers will make their way to the Holy Land. Phil Cousineau is author of the book, The Art of Pilgrimage: The Seeker's Guide to Making Travel Sacred. When Phil stopped by recently, we asked him to explain the difference between a pilgrimage and a vacation.




Pilgrimage By Linda Kay Davidson, David Martin Gitlitz

Book overview

From Mecca to Graceland, Canterbury to Vatican City, special places that affect the human spirit have been luring multitudes of visitors throughout human history. Where are the world's most important pilgrimage sites? Who are the pilgrims? Why are they going? How do they behave once they reach their destinations? Pilgrimage is a comprehensive compendium of all the basic facts from ancient times to the 21st century. Illustrated with maps and photographs that enrich the reader's journey, this authoritative volume explores sites, people, activities, rites, terminology, and other matters related to pilgrimage such as economics, tourism, and disease. Encompassing all major and minor world religions, from ancient cults to modern faiths, both religious and secular pilgrimage sites are covered. Compiled by experts, who have co-authored numerous books on pilgrimage and are pilgrims in their own right, the entries will appeal to students, scholars, and general readers.

Comments