“This is our winter soup."

We leave it on the stove all winter and just keep adding bits in.” the woman told my friend just as she was about to take another bite.

And to think my dad used to complain about Granny’s soup, suggesting she made it whenever she cleaned out the fridge! I liked Granny’s soup and have never tasted anything quite like it. I reckon it was the love she added in.

I love a good thick soup in the winter. In NZ and Australia, pumpkin soup is often on the menu. I one time did a bit of research around Auckland to see who made the best minestrone soup. Just about figured it out then the chefs all moved or the owners sold up and the menu and recipes changed. Phooey.

I make such a good chili I bought a huge pot specifically dedicated to it! (See Recipe in tags below left) The longer it slow cooks the better it tastes, all the flavours mingling in and enhancing each other. I’ve pushed it a bit far a few times in leaving it on the stove, but my house gets pretty cold at night. I reckon it’s nearly like refrigerating it! The last batch of two huge pots got gobbled up over three consecutive nights of hospitality, parceled out to my fans who couldn’t come over, or tucked in to the freezer for a cold day when I don’t want to cook. There’s the bit in the margarine container and some in an ice cream container and then there’s a reasonable portion in the yoghurt container. I guess that’s kinda like what Granny was doing: recycling and making sure nothing goes to waste.

Comments