Food - Mood Connection?

Are we what we eat? Does our food impact on our mood?
Food & Mood suggests a connection.

Many people seek to take control of their mental health using self-help, and to find approaches they can use alongside, or even instead of, prescribed medication. One self-help strategy is to make changes to what we eat, and there is a growing interest in how food and nutrition can affect emotional and mental health.
Everyone who took part in the Food and mood project survey was asked: 'what would be the best single piece of advice you could offer someone like yourself who was starting out to explore food and mood?'

This is what they said:

There is a definite link with food and mood, but I do lapse and when I do I feel noticeably different. Once you find out your triggers you can feel so much better.

Be honest with yourself – I always believed I was a healthy eater but the reality was different. My reality now matches and I follow it, the result is a new me.

Start with an elimination diet, keep a diary – listen to your body and tailor your diet to you as an individual. Try to get support from outside the family when experimenting with diet. Give any changes at least three months. Seek out a qualified practitioner. If it works tell your GP.

Stop eating sugars! Stop drinking alcohol (I did rarely). Stop smoking (I don't anyway). Never eat chocolate it's poisonous.

The clarity, freedom and sense of connectedness that can be achieved through making positive changes in your diet is worth all the effort. Persevere lovingly!

Try something just for one week eg no sugar/no caffeine. It is such an eye opener.

Be open minded and experiment for yourself – trust your body and its responses!

Notice what you've just eaten when you are in a negative mood.

It is not a 'diet' but an eating regime to adopt for life, with benefits.

Take any elimination of food slowly, expect to feel irritable etc but positive things do emerge!

Stay positive. Make a few changes. Experiment and 'stay with the programme' and it will be worth it in the end.

Have an open mind and don't make it into a chore. Enjoy it even if you only change something small.

Taking iron (I am 52) and feel more energy on iron 200mg daily. Many women I know my age are very tired and want to sleep all day (as I did) so often I recommend this. Plus better diet.

Don't go to extremes and punish yourself.

Give it time.

I tried the dietary changes for my physical health. I found the exclusion diet very stressful and it caused a severe ulcer flare up.

Don't try to do it all too quickly. See a proper nutritionist. Be nice to yourself!

Subtle changes to diet and nutrition can bring about very positive improvements.

Most decidedly consult a qualified professional who can guide and support.

Don't take for granted the food you consume and think more about the food choices made – this is the first step – the rest is easy! Read more . . .


Think there's any truth to this, eating to improve our moods?

Jenny Bowden at Thinking Nutrition affirms that exercise will improve our moods.

Comments

Unknown said…
I agree with you on this. Thanks for this great post, It has given me a fresh perspective on this topic. It might be strange but great food can really hack you into your joyful self.

I hope you can take the time to read my post as well:Foods That Will Improve Mood Instantly

I hope it will also help you.