Writing: What & in What?

Many people have said I should write a book. There was a time when I wanted to be a journalist, to write on the editorial/opinion page of a large daily newspaper. I also entertained the idea of sending my portfolio in to National Geographic Magazine. Maybe I could travel the world and photographic fascinating people and places!

I have since visited many book fairs. One such huge sale is held in a stadium here in Auckland and runs for over 24 hours straight! I love it. I can go at 3 in the morning and browse the rows of tables without tripping over the ankle biters born to avid readers & bargain hounds.

The thing that impresses me as a potential reader is that it's as if the world is laid out before me on tables. I can stroll from gardening to Kiwiana to biography to sci-fi, end up in the travel section and I can take it all home with me! The thing that impresses me as a would-be writer is that this is where so many books end up. You can buy individual books or pay by the box or plastic bag. Humph.

As for newspapers, even those with the most exemplary opinions eloquently expressed, they often end up lining the bottom of bird cages or used for puppy potty training. Aim higher!

And National Geographic Magazine, amazing as it is, copies are regularly sold by the box at auctions or for pennies at garage sales and in op shops, rarely with the maps still tucked safely inside.

So, here I am, still wondering if I'd even have anything to say, let alone if it would be worth publishing. And those who thought I should write a book, well they'd probably want me to give them a free copy.

Comments

CHERYL said…
This is what I heard...

"...I can go at 3 in the morning and browse the rows of tables without tripping over the ankle biters born to avid readers & bargain hounds."
--I would like to browse with YOU at 3 am!!

and

"...it's as if the world is laid out before me on tables."
--VERY poetically spoken...I'm going to write that down. Can I quote you?

and

"...You can buy individual books or pay by the box or plastic bag."
--I've visited your office recently and I'm not sure buying books 'individually' or 'in a box' would be a wise move!

I also want to leave my vote regarding YOU writing a book. I vote YES!
Jill said…
I love you! Thanks for hearing me.
Becki said…
Just because a book is on a bargain table doesn't mean it has lost it's meaning or relavance or usefulness.I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a book...or magazine for that matter. For years I have gleaned knowlegde, learned from others' experience, "traveled" to exotic places, and escaped to other worlds all by shopping just the kind of place you have mentioned here. Even if you did write and book and it ended up on the bargain table...God could still use you. There are so many treasures in flea markets and bargain bins that may or may not have been popular in their time. Thanks goodness there are still places like those you mentioned still out there. When my electricity if off or my server isn't operating...I can still pick up a good book and feed my soul.
Angela said…
;-) Well I'd want a copy of your book! DO IT!!!
Woven and Spun said…
"still wondering if I'd even have anything to say . . ."

Chuckling out loud. I'd be belly laughing if I wasn't scared of waking the kids!

Think of it like this. 100% of those commenting think you should write. Those are pretty convincing statistics! Go for it!

Love ya : )
Jill said…
Thanks for the comments! Now for a title! Any suggestions?