Geocache: What are you Talking about?!

At various times in my writings here, I've referred to, or go on ad nauseum, about geocaching.
Some people have described it as "Using Multi-billion dollar military hardware to find Tupperware in the woods." It's kinda The Amazing Race, orienteering, and a scavenger hunt for gadget geeks all in one. Geocaching requires curiosity, a sense of adventure, outdoor gear & some physical exertion.

As you read this I am celebrating my one year anniversary of caching by going to the Far North of NZ, which is still south of most places in the world, on a geocaching trip.

An cache event is planned at Doubtless Bay for holidaymakers in the Far North, so I'm going to drive up with a couple of friends, camp and cache, probably in the rain.

How to Geocache.
1. Have GPSr - Garmin, Magellen, or handheld brand of your choice. (Not the kind with big screen for navigating around town.) Preferably load the GPSr with maps of your region.

2. Obtain & load coordinates or waypoints into the GPSr, most likely through www.geocaching.com

3. Load notes for caches (descriptions, hints & past logs from finders) into a PDA for reference as you go. Printing out a map of the area with waypoints shown is also very helpful, but not necessary.

4. Slap on the sunscreen, dark glasses, and sensible walking shoes & off you go. I'd also take water, snacks, a torch/flashlight, pen & notebook, at the minimum.

There are variations on this process, but that's it in a nutshell.
1. People have hidden things.
2. Get enough info to point you in the right direction.
3. Go and find them!

It's great reason to go for a walk. It takes me places I'd not have known about.
I discovered an amazing little beach this week I'll return to with a book and lunch. I also found a waterfall at another cache and sometimes am drawn to artwork I'd have driven past.

Geocachers are encouraged to be conscious stewards of the environment. We try to keep to trails and not damage vegetation. We Cache In and Trash Out, picking up litter as we leave an area.

The reason we use PDA's for the notes is so we don't print out any more info sheets than necessary. Read more about paperless caching.

Are you a cacher? Most regions have caching clubs and events to help you get started and be part of a community as you develop your skills. Podcacher podcast is a free weekly download off iTunes that can help you with tips, tricks & interviews.







Rumo & Rala (pictured) are the friends who introduced me to geocaching, along with the 2 Hopefuls and Beauty & The Beast. I've met some great people while geocaching and have introduced a few to the sport/activity/game. There's still some confusion as to how to classify geocaching. I cache as Indiana Jill, of course.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like your "green" concept. I still scribble notes on paper but I have a PDA. Thanks for reminding me.

Sounds like you are having great fun!

Thanks for the article.

-= Bill=-
www.thegeocacher.com