Smart Tools for Exploration

Did I mention that I'm a geocacher? Yep, I love it. It gets me out and about, exploring and going places I never knew about and meeting some really nice people. Feeds my insatiable curiosity.

At first I borrowed a friends' GPSr and fumbled my way around to a few caches. Then I did the research and decided which handheld GPSr to buy for myself. GARMIN I'm still learning how to use its many features, but we're having fun!

Buying a good unit is not cheap (approx $90- $300US) and then there are a few other items you'll want. So, whether you are out searching under rocks and in crevices or driving from place to place, why not save on maps by downloading free ones!? In NZ you can use Open Source.

Traveling elsewhere? oh. Well these links from GPS Tracklog might help:

Specific areas:
Australia – Tracks 4 Australia
Canada – Canadian topo maps
Caribbean – This Caribbean maps site also has maps of Japan, Bermuda and Antarctica
China – Yunnan Explorer
Greece – Greece GPS maps
Morocco – Maps of Morocco
South America - Argentina, Uruguay and more in the works. Turn by turn routing too.
U.S. topo maps - 40 foot contour interval maps of Colorado and Wyoming

Free Geography Tools lists amazing sources too: thematic maps, tricks with Google Maps, antipodal map tools . . . . so you can see who's on the opposite side of the world from you! I'll be smiling!

For advice on buying a handheld GPSr go to Gps Tracklog. Each of the sites mentioned link to other gold mines of info and ideas. I follow those trails when it's raining outside. Have fun!

Comments