What motif best suits your life?

mo-tif noun [moh-teef]
1. a recurring subject, theme, idea, etc., esp. in a literary, artistic, or musical work.
2. a distinctive and recurring form, shape, figure, etc., in a design, as in a painting or on wallpaper.
3. a dominant idea or feature:
Mine is often journey.

With an insatiable curiosity, I see a book as a new adventure through which to journey with the author as my guide. When I approach a large gallery or museum, it's a journey into places designed by the curators and furnished by the artists or natives or inventors.

Geocaching provides me with journeys I wouldn't otherwise take.

Spiritually I am always on a journey to better understanding, deeper intimacy, richer faith and diverse nuances gleaned from fellow travellers.

I rarely collect plastic souvenirs of my journeys. I prefer instead to carry with me something of the place, a piece of driftwood as a bookmark, a leaf or dried flower to remind me of that garden or forest, a postcard in case my photos don't turn out.

I've also grown quite a collection of boarding passes over the years, though the new ones are not worth saving. In the old days, my early days of travel, the passengers were issued a booklet of tickets with red carbon on the back of each leaf. The boarding passes were cardboard and perforated upon boarding so the crew could check who was still wandering the airport and who was on the plane.

Once on board, the card board stubs made great bookmarks and reminded me where I was going.

I found a small collection of these boarding passes in the back of My Utmost For His Highest, a daily devotional I dip into from time to time. These passes show journeys from Amsterdam to Chicago, London to Nairobi and another one for Costa Rica, no departure shown.

I think the trip from Amsterdam was the one where I saw friends of my grandparents on the plane. One must never think one is alone in the world and therefore free to misbehave!

But what about you? What motif might fit your life, describe your life, connect the dots and give shape to your existence? There can be more than one, obviously. What comes to mind?

Comments