What does an online search for yourself turn up?

Entering my name in a search engine tonight had an interesting result. Sure there were hits for this blog and some of the different hats I wear, but I was also used as an example in an online dictionary. Yep. I've used dictionaries for years and often marveled at how the Oxford English Dictionary includes examples of the first time a word is known to be used. I even read Simon Winchester's book, The Meaning of Everything, on how the OED was put together. It was fascinating!

Now tonight, I find myself in an online dictionary under the heading of karakia. Karakia is a Maori word that has been described to me as a declaration, but is often used to suggest prayer. I led in an opening of a new library building at Massey University late last year and part of the press release of the event has been grabbed as an example of karakia on Wordnik.

You might wonder if I'm so narcissistic as to seek my identity online, but it is a good idea to check out your online presence from time to time so as to both know what other people can find out about you and to request things to be corrected or removed if inaccuracies are there that might jeopardise future opportunities.

While I think it's pretty cool to be cited in this example, it is also humourous as I'm just a white girl from Indiana who has been privileged with glimpses into different cultures and languages and who tries not to muck things up too much.

Does being included in a dictionary mean I'm old? Possibly. But it is an online dictionary and the event was less than a year ago, so I'd like to think I'm part of a dynamic process that is rich and diverse and everchanging. I'd like to think that.

Comments