Religion or culture; Inspired, required or desired?

Lent.
Trinity.
Signage.
Hymnals.
Projectors.
Paid staff.
Vestments.
Plastic cups.
Sunday School.
Mixing boards.
Systematic theology class.

I don't find these things mentioned in the Bible.

Doesn't make 'em wrong, I just mention it.
Thinking about what is necessary and what is cultural.
Over time, too much significance can be assigned to the material cultural of any organisation.
Inappropriate meaning can be given to things rather than the purpose for which those items were introduced or intended.
  • I wouldn't wanna do away with the trinity; they were the original small group.
  • I still remember #62 in our old hymnals.
  • Signage helped me find a gathering this past week.
  • Little plastic cups help limit the flu bugs that go around.
I just think we need to hold loosely to things,
so if God asks us to let them go for the sake of something better,
we're prepared to do so.

Tell me if I'm wrong.
Continue this conversation if I'm thinking in the right direction.

Comments