Maintenance or Mayhem?

Had a nice chat with my dentist this week.
You know how it goes.
" So, Jill, how are things going for you?"
"Agghr undt iinga."
"Good. Glad to hear it. Shall we do xrays again? It's been a while."
"ha ay."
"Bite down on this. Good."
"err eh"
Have you been there? Could you decipher my response? Maybe the eye contact helps.

I wonder if dentists are especially attentive to body language. Surely the stiffening of my legs and the lifting of my backside off the chair tells him something. How about the way I remold his armrests to the shape of the inside of my fists?

No, I have a super dentist and have had very good experiences through the years. Maybe that's because I go often enough to be on a first name basis with all the staff? No, not because my teeth are rotting in my head, but because, just like with most things, maintenance is better than attending to disasters.


That's true in your flower & veggie garden, in relationships, with our mechanical devices and our computers. It's true in finances, managing our time and planning travel.
  • Have you ever seen garden centre staff recoil as a woman holds out an infected leaf in her hand for their inspection? They are thinking of their entire stock being infected!
  • Have you ever seen people run through airports? They didn't plan for delays or consider the length of those seemingly interminable terminals.
  • Have you ever seen people fork out enormous sums of money to get themselves out of a bind?
I used to think my grandfather was a bit OTT (over the top) in how he planned travel. He could give us a typed 3x5 card a month in advance of their departure with every segment of the trip planned out by date, times, meals and hotels. I could almost picture them on any given day and time! He was an engineer. They do things like that. Very tidy.

I'm more spontaneous, but with a plan underneath the casual approach. I usually have maps handy and a list of options. I have 800 numbers for booking agents in my phone. I've usually read up on a city's highlights before arriving and I often buy travel insurance. I have phone numbers of people in whatever country I'm visiting so I can call for advice should the unexpected happen. I have rainy day options as a fallback, but otherwise just take things as they come. I've arrived in places before and been pleasantly surprised to find a festival or art tour underway! Bonus!

I almost always have a spare book with me, and paper & envelopes. This last trip I did run out of deodorant. How embarrassing!

So, what about you? Are you a planer to unth degree or do you just fly by the seat of your pants and hope the friction doesn't ignite? Do you end up in expensive muddles or have happy accidents and unexpected delights? Do you enjoy the planning so much that the trip or project is really a bit of a let down? Do you do regular maintenance on your computer, or your garden, to keep the bugs at bay?

What's your style?
My next dentist appointment is 17 November.


Comments