University Chaplain: Cross-Cultural & Exciting

Working cross-culturally over many years has placed me in some interesting situations, to say the least. I’ve knelt before an African chief, confronted witchdoctors, talked about spirituality & grace with backstage Paul Simon, waited for flood waters to abate, picked up lamb donated by Muslims from a Jewish butcher to distribute in Jesus' name to hungry families, emceed for community Christmas events, dressed as Dora’s monkey in a parade and been asked to pray at the most amazing times. Many times I’ve thought, “That wasn’t in any of the textbooks!”


While still in the US on my travels last year, I received an email request from the university where I serve part-time to participate in a blessing of the new library building. Ricky, the Coordinating Chaplain, knew he would be away at the Parliament of World Religions in Australia and asked me to fill in for the chaplaincy team. Having been away and knowing I'd not contributed much the last term, I agree, even while acknowledging the 5 AM start time.


Ricky provided some background as to the protocol and told me what to expect. I read up on cultural expectations and went to bed early.


The morning began in the dark, but it was warmish and dry, so all was well. I arrived, glanced over my notes and then went to join the gathering crowd which was expected to number about 55 people. These were guests from the construction company, the local community government, the Palmerston North campus, donors, library staff, and management, staff & faculty of our campus.


I greeted those I encountered first and then sought the company of our Maori Studies Coordinator, Donald. He greeted me with a kiss on the cheek and then told me somberly that our kaumatua, Maori elder, had had a heart attack the night before and would not be leading us, and could I please do so.


I told Donald I was right behind him and would follow his lead. He gently righted my thinking and explained that I was to take the leading role in the ceremonies. This is where the white girl from Indiana begins to feel out of her depths.


The blessing of a new house or building where people will meet is a sacred thing to the Maori. In its unconstructed phases, someone could have placed something of threat within the walls. The spiritual world is most active through the night, thus the pre-dawn service. The unfinished pieces of wood and elements of construction are not yet dedicated to the purpose of sheltering people. The pieces, the process and the people are not yet reconciled to each other. The blessing lifts any tapu and brings all in to harmony. While this may seem strange to those of a Western scientific mindset, it is common practice

around the world.


You can buy Money House Blessing Indian Spirit Incense Sticks at Walgreens for participating in an American Indian house blessing. In India you would take milk, coconut & bananas. The film, It's A Wonderful Life includes a house blessing where salt, bread & wine featured. So the idea is not a new one, but how it applies in a Maori context to a university library was my challenge.


I had considered what symbol I might carry or use in the blessing. Some people use water or an icon. While I looked for a native clematis in bloom, in the end I chose a blossom from a Peace Lily. I tucked the stem in the back of my Bible so the flower could precede me and be seen by all.


I had prepared my thoughts the night before, even writing some prayers on paper so as to have new ideas to jog my thinking as we traversed the 5 floors of the library. When it became clear that I was to lead, I was more than relieved to have some notes on paper. At such times, my thinking can get a bit scrambled and my words would be hard to follow!


As I prayed, I thought of those who were there that morning and of those who would use the space. I prayed aloud for the cleaners, the maintenance people, the reference librarians and the rest of staff, for the academic staff and students, for the administrators, donors and outsiders who might come in.

From this place where untouched bush once grew and fed
birds & animals, now minds will grow and bless this nation and others.

Set it apart, oh God, for positive uses, for expansion of the
mind and soul, connecting knowledge with the will to do good.

Let there be a pursuit of knowledge without individual greed, for mutual
good, even as boundaries are tested and pushed back as appropriate.
Let those who feel more comfortable with books than with people, be blessed.

Let those who do research, who seek for that needle in the haystack, find what is of value.

Bless the community, the city, the nation & the world who will pass
through or be influenced by the activities herein.


I don’t know if people commonly laugh when you pray, but on this particular morning I took it as a good sign. Twice I heard snickers or responses from the crowd. One was when I prayed for those who might come in to such a wonderful building and not find their way back out. Another was when I prayed for those who feel more comfortable with books than with people. The academics laughed at that one. One of the professors told me later, “Our laughter was a good sign that we were paying attention.”


My objective in the morning was to serve; it became to lead. Throughout the entire process it was to honour the God I love in the midst of a cultural context with differing worldviews.


It isn’t always easy to know how to honour God in varying circumstances when the boundaries are not set by us. Sometimes I feel like I’m flying by the seat of my pants, knowing that the Holy Spirit is driving and I’m just the face and voice.


After the formal part of the morning was over and everyone was drinking tea and eating together, I was approached by a few individuals. One had seen me around but had never spoken with me. Could I speak to her classes about pastoral care for occupational therapists? Another wanted to speak about personal matters. A lecturer began an intellectual discussion, but we were interrupted. Just as well, my brain had already had enough that morning and it was only 7 AM!


Such is the life of a chaplain on a university campus.

Chaplain: It's a weird word for an amazing role in an exciting place amongst some very good people.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very cool. I know you were exactly what was needed. Blessings. LS
Helen said…
Hey Jill, wish I'd been there. Love to you and all the Massey crew. Helen