Opinions: For what they're worth.

In an age when everyone thinks they have a right to express their opinion, and that their opinion matters, Ellen Goodman gives some good advice.
As for keeping the attack dogs from nibbling away your courage? My theory, after decades in this business, is that you only give a few people the right to make you feel rotten. You have a handful of chits to give out, penuriously, to those you trust and respect. You don't give them to just anyone with an e-mail address and an epithet.
Ellen Goodman
I listen to talk radio. It is often entertaining, sometimes informative and upon occasion, irritating. When it irritates me, I turn it off. For example, I turned it off at a certain time in the morning this past week to avoid listening to my least favourite radio host, only to find out later that he is still on holiday and my favourite nighttime host was filling in! Just so you know I am discerning and not an addict!

giving your opinion ≠ getting involved

I am fascinated by those who call in and think that by so doing, they are changing the outcome of the issue under discussion. The same can be said for commenting on blogs or debating over a cuppa. If the process expands our thinking, then there is value in it. If it is only a pastime and creates nothing but hot air, then go pull weeds or recycle something. Those activities are more useful.

Voicing an opinion and getting involved to actually create change are two different things.

Opinions are cheap. As my dad says, they are like bellybuttons: everyone has one.

Comments