Write so as not to be misunderstood

Best writing advice

as a young lady, I sought the advice of a wise elderly editor of a weekly magazine. Edwin Hayden had seen and heard it all and had weathers many a deadline.

He said, "Jill, write not so much to be understood, but so as not to be misunderstood."
I knew understanding was the goal, but I was not so conscious of the myriad ways my words could be misinterpreted. Much the same is true with public speaking. I may know what I said, and what I meant to be remembered, but I don't always know what people hear or take away with them.

Effective communication requires the speaker or writer to know what the intended message is. What do you want your audience to take away from their encounter with you?

Look at the following bad examples from church bulletins..


For those of you who have children and don't know it, we have a nursery downstairs.
---------------------------------------------------------
Please place your donation in the envelope along with the deceased person you want remembered.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ladies of the Church have cast off clothing of every kind.  They may be seen in the basement on Friday afternoon.
----------------------------------- ------ -----------------------------
Ladies Bible Study will be held Thursday morning at 10 AM. All ladies are invited to lunch in the Fellowship Hall after the B.S. is done.
--------------------------------------------
Low Self Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 PM. Please use the back door.
----------------------------------------------------------
Weight Watchers will meet at 7 PM at the First Presbyterian Church.  Please use the large double doors at the side entrance.
----------------------------------------------------------
The Associate Minister unveiled the church's new tithing campaign slogan last Sunday : 'I Upped My Pledge - Up Yours'

Comments