Churchese

Ya know, sometimes people can use a word repeatedly and not know what it means.
I was recently asked about a word that was repeted in a song. I thought I knew what it meant, but it had been so long since I had thought about it, I wasn't sure if my thinking was right. So I looked it up.
"Hosanna" (Greek transcription: ὡσαννά, hōsanna) is the cry of praise or adoration shouted in recognition of the Messiahship of Jesus on his entry into Jerusalem, Hosanna! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord! It is used in the same way in Christian praise. Overall, it seems that, "Hosanna," is a cry for salvation, while at the same time is a declaration of praise. Therefore, it may be derived that this plea for help is out of an agreeably positive connotation.

The old interpretation "Save, now!" which may be a popular etymology, is based on Psalm 118:25 (Hebrew הושענא hOshEeah-nna) (Possibly "Savior"). This does not fully explain the occurrence of the word in the Gospels, which has given rise to complex discussions.
There are lots of words we use this way, casually, without thinking of the etymology or real meaning behind the word or phrase.

How about "In the wings" or "Good as gold."

What other phrases can you contribute that could have varying meanings or usage, very possibly nothing near what it originally meant?

Comments