Words & Images

Words are great!
I love words.
I often visualize the words I speak or hear as a sort of teletype.
I'm odd, but YOU came to read this blog. So what does that say about YOU?

But, a word that must be spelt or understood in context to get the right meaning, what of images, pictures, visual cues as to meaning?

Is a picture worth a thousand words?
The quote is sometimes attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte, who said "Un bon croquis vaut mieux qu'un long discours," or "A good sketch is better than a long speech".

Russian writer Ivan Turgenev wrote (in Fathers and Sons in 1862), "A picture shows me at a glance what it takes dozens of pages of a book to expound."

So, if an image conveys more than words for some people, how would you illustrate the word potential?

I think of a baby, or a fresh green sprout, new buds on a tree, a paint box, a fresh clean journal or a newly filled fountain pen. How about a globe, a journey, an empty suitcase?

What comes to your mind? Add to the conversation!
When you think potential, what picture comes to mind, what image?


If A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words - is a video worth more?

IF you know this song, it says something about your age!

IF, by David Gates

If a picture paints a thousand words, then why can't I paint you?
The words would never show, the you I've come to know . . .

If a face could launch a thousand ships, then where am I to go?
There's no one home but you, you're all that's left me to . . .

And when my love for life is running dry,
You come and pour yourself on me . . .

If a man could be two places at one time, I'd be with you,
tomorrow and today, beside you all the way . . .

If the world should stop revolving, Spinning slowly down to die,
I'd spend the end with you when the world was through . . .

Then one by one the stars would all go out . . .
Then you and I would simply fly away!

Comments

Woven and Spun said…
When I think of potential I can't help but scoff at it unless it is accompanied by the desire & courage to achieve it.
Every living soul has potential. Few reach it.
Damn, did I just write that out loud . . . now I have to live by it!!!!
Jill said…
Did you swear in my blog? Oh, that's not swearing on this side of the Pacific! Love you!