300 Geocaches in about a year.

You may or may not have any concept of geocaching or what I mean when I talk about it. For me, it is much as golf is to others, or fishing or listening to dogs running in the woods. Geocaching is a reason to get outside when I otherwise might not. It is a way of exercising my curiosity, of learning new tricks and meeting new people. My love of travel, of maps and of the outdoors, all combine to make geocaching a good activity for me.

Geocaching: A reason for a good walk,
if I needed a reason.

The photo shown here is at my 300th cache find. I followed a trail as indicated by a GPS using coordinates downloaded from a website provided there by the person who hid the cache in hopes that I too might discover the beauty of a place they like.

In this case, it was near the edge of the Waikato River at a place where hot water from geothermal vents poured into the mighty river. You can sit amongst the rocks at the river's edge and enjoy a natural spa. Do be careful though as there are no safety valves or temperature gauges on the geothermal source!

Tuis sang overhead an fantails followed us along the track hoping we'd stir up insects for their dinner. The blue-green of the water is a sight to see while respecting the power of the current and the unseen forces below the surface. Respect the river, because respects no one.

Over 4000 geocaches are hidden in NZ. There is one near your house too. Go for a walk.

Comments

jane said…
Congratulations on your 300th cache! And thank you for introducing me to geocaching. What I like best is being wonderfully surprised by the unexpected . . . a beautiful vista, the singsong chatter of a tui, finding a gynormous tree in a forest of really big trees, learning someone's "real" name, discovering the most beautiful place on earth time and time again... And to think -- you sometimes have to go no further than your own back yard!