Drunk Email Protector

From Pete on . . without wax . .

I was reading THIS ARTICLE the other night about googles “drunk email protector”. At first, I thought it was a joke, but apparently it actually does exist. Google has unveiled a new feature in Gmail called Mail Goggles designed to stop you from sending embarrassing e-mails while drunk by requiring you to do math problems before the email will be sent.

Not a bad idea. However I still think the real money maker would be an “angry email protector”. I have a feeling we’ve probably done a lot more relational damage from sending emails when we’re angry then when we’re drunk.

How many times have you wished 30 minutes later there was a “get my email back” button on your computer?

I’ve made this mistake a few times so I’ve established a few email rules in this area.

1) I try to never send a message via email that is dealing with a relational conflict. I’ve gone as far as instructing all of our staff they shouldn’t either. This always leads to trouble.

2) Never, ever respond to an email within the first hour of receiving it. YOU WILL regret it and in case you haven’t figured it out …. there is no “get my email back” button. This applies to blog comments as well!

Any suggestions from you? Any stories of email gone wrong?

Comments