Blogging: Out of control?

Have you ever used Google to find your favourite blogs? Go to Google Blog Search and enter your interest or topic or hobby. See what turns up.
Blogging is a phenomenon that's gaining steam at an amazing rate. According to Technorati, an Internet blog tracker, 120,000 new blogs are created every day. And according to some sources, as many as 70 million blogs exist at this moment. (Oct 07)
A variant of the word weblog, a blog (as defined by Dictionary.com) is "an online diary; a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a Web page." Formerly considered the exclusive haunt of hotheaded ideologues, gabby teens, and video game fanatics, blogging now includes all kinds and ages. Everyone from amateur birdwatchers to professional journalists maintain blogs. The medium is especially attractive to communities of people who share a passion for a particular subject (e.g., politics or sci-fi movies) or avocation (e.g., doll collecting or motorcycle riding).
L.L. Barkat
What kinda blogs do you read, other than this one?
What do you get from them? Entertainment? Informational? Community?

Here are a few . . . . most of which I do NOT frequent which is a whole different kinda blogroll to include, but I assume you are multi-faceted people and have different interests from me. The blogroll of places I frequent is on the side bar . . . . but there are more that I haven't taken the time to list yet . . . will do soon.

Where would I go if I wanted to read about Science Fiction? Top 10 science fiction novelists of the '00s -- so far Jun 15, 2007 Or a list of recent sci fi books are found at SF Site.

A Bloggie award is given each year. Some of the recent winners were:

Best Art or Craft Blog. PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people
mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a postcard.

Best Foof Blog: The Pioneer Woman Cooks where they even give away espresso machines. I don't give away anything on Conversations@Intersections, except free links.

While it didn't win Best Fashion Blog, Budget Fashionista which helps you be fabulous for less is a good idea. Not sure it delivers. My friend Cheryl could fill her blog with that as she is a Goodwill guru who finds amazing things for those she loves from the excess of the previous owners.

My friend Tiffany first pointed me to Fat Cyclist and it also made the Bloggie awards. Do you ride?

How it Started
For the past dozen or so years, biking — whether on the road or on dirt — has has been essentially my one and only hobby/activity/obsession. The thing is, though, cyclists need to be light if they’re going to be fast. So, a few years ago, when I went on a nice long bike ride and noticed I was having to walk up hills I had easily ridden not many years before, I realized something had to be done.

And yes, I also noticed my knees pushed into my gut with each pedal stroke. Shaddup.

I had known I needed to lose weight, but hadn’t really done much about it. As I pushed my bike up the road, I realized I had not tried one very successful diet tactic: humiliation. I resolved to start a blog, embarrassing myself by proclaiming my weight on a daily basis, no matter how bad I was doing.

I didn’t want to just post my weight, though. So I also wrote stories. Sometimes these stories are about rides. Sometimes they’re fake news (especially around Tour de France time, when there’s usually lots of stuff in the bike industry that begs for satire). Sometimes they’re about whatever bike-related thing has popped into my head that morning (lunchtime, evening, whenever). •He also writes on more serious real life kind struggles of his family.

Or you can check out the one man global content provider, Mark Steyn, for politics, culture music, books . . . .

I like the variety on Kerre Woodham's site, ...from short fat chick to marathon runner
Books, recipes, things of interest in New Zealand and beyond.

For techies or gadget geeks look at Wired, Gizmodo, Slashdot and LifeHacker.
That last one is one I do frequent. Happy surfing, but do come back.

Comments

L.L. Barkat said…
This is so funny. I was reading along and thinking, "Gee, those words sound familiar." Why, I suppose they should. Since they were mine. : )

(Hey, I linked to you in my final report post for the How Blogging Has Changed Our Lives meme. Thanks again for playing along, giving us some good things to think about!)
Unknown said…
Thanks for the link and while we didn't win the Bloggie, we're trucking along (for 5+ years now). I am very interested to see why you don't think TBF delivers on it's promise AND I would love to shop with your friend Cheryl!