. . . adapt your word to my smallness . . .

Karl_rahner

"Whenever I think of your infinity, I am racked with anxiety, wondering how you are disposed to me... You must adapt your word to my smallness, so that it can enter into this tiny dwelling of my finiteness - the only dwelling in which I can live - without destroying it. If you should speak such an "abbreviated" word, which would not say everything but only something simple which I could grasp, then I could breath freely again. You must make your own some human word, for that is the only kind I can comprehend. Don't tell me everything that you are; don't tell me of your infinity - just say that you Love me, just tell me of your Goodness to me."

Karl Rahner SJ. Quoted by Elizabeth A. Johnson in her latest book,

Quest for the Living God: Mapping Frontiers in the Theology of God

(pub 2007), within the chapter titled: "Gracious mystery, ever greater, ever nearer"

I found this gem on Prodigal Kiwi

Comments